You are here: Home > FAQs

Frequently Asked Questions

What should I do if I discover a chemical emergency?

If you see a hazardous materials emergency:
  • Immediately move away from the hazard.
  • Call 9-1-1 to report the emergency.
Do NOT attempt to put out fires with water or rescue injured people. Trained and qualified individuals will do that.

What should I do if I am notified of a chemical emergency?

  • Prepare to get yourself and your family out of the area if so directed by local authorities.
  • Move crosswind (in a direction so that the wind is blowing from your left to right, or vice versa, but not into your face of behind you). This offers the best opportunity for avoiding the path of the release.
  • Be prepared to protect yourself wherever you are if evacuation isn't possible or necessary.
  • Go into your house or a nearby building, or get in your automobile. Stay inside and wait for the emergency to pass. Studies have shown that even poorly sealed buildings offer some protection against dangerous amounts of gas entering the building.
  • Click here for more tips on Sheltering-in-Place
  • Click here for tips on Evacuation
Remain calm and wait until receiving further instructions before taking any action.

What should I do if gas or vapors have entered my building?

If gas or vapors could have entered the building, take shallow breaths through a cloth or a towel. Avoid eating or drinking any food or water that may be contaminated. Monitor the Emergency Broadcast System station for further updates and remain in shelter until authorities indicate it is safe to come out.

What should I include in my Shelter-in-Place kit?

Bath / Hand Towels, Duct Tape, Flashlight and Radio with Fresh Batteries, Non-Perishable Foods, and First Aid Kit with Scissors. Find more information here.

How can I find out more about chemicals stored near my home?

Download the Public Information Request Form, complete and return it to the LEPC.

When does the Cuyahoga County LEPC meet?

View the LEPC Calendar for a schedule of meetings as well as minutes from previous meetings.

What is SARA?

SARA is the Superfund Amendments and Reauthorization Act (the Emergency Planning and Community Right-to-Know law)

How do I report a Hazardous Materials Spill?

Go to the Report a Spill page and following the reporting instructions. Also note the icon on the home page for faster access in an emergency.

What materials need to be reported if spilled?

Go to the Report a Spill page and following the reporting instructions.

When do I need to make a report?

Whenever the reportable quantity of a listed material is spilled. The report must be completed within 30 minutes of the spill.

Is there a penalty for failing to provide Emergency Notification?

Yes, Ohio Revised Code 3750.06 provides for both civil and criminal penalties.

What is the role of the LEPC?

 For information about the Cuyahoga County LEPC, please see the About Us section of this site.

What are the reporting deadlines for environmental inventories?

Visit our Reporting Schedule page.

What is the Ohio SERC?

For information about the Ohio SERC, please visit the Ohio SERC website.

Can I file my reports electronically?

Yes, for information about filing electronically go to the SERC website.

What is Inherent Safety?

Go to Chemical Accident Prevention and Safety.

How can I learn more about inherent safety or waste reduction?

Go to Chemical Accident Prevention and Safety.