You are here:
Home > Emergency Plans and Exercises
Emergency Plans and Exercises
The LEPC is required to review the Cuyahoga County Hazardous Materials Emergency Response Plan and update annually. By reviewing and updating the Plan, the LEPC complies with the Superfund Amendments and Reauthorization Act (SARA), the federal law that mandated Emergency Planning and Community-Right-to-Know requirements in 1985. The Plan must include certain features designed to enhance local emergency response capabilities. These features are outlined in Ohio Revised Code Section 3750.04
. The Plan includes hazard analyses for over 250 facilities throughout Cuyahoga County that store or use Extremely Hazardous Substances (EHS). These analyses provide an estimate of the potential affected area in the event of a release of an EHS from these facilities.
General guidance for emergency planners and emergency response personnel can be found in the Ohio Hazardous Material Planning and Exercise Guidance Booklet
The LEPC is required by Ohio Revised Code Chapter 3750 to complete an annual exercise of the County Hazardous Materials Emergency Response Plan. The exercise must test various plan provisions and is evaluated by the Ohio State Emergency Response Commission. Three types of exercises are used:
- Tabletop exercise, which is a verbal walk-through or discussion of the response procedures. It is designed to evaluate plans and resolve questions of coordination and roles.
- Functional exercise, which is a hands-on or physical demonstration of a specific function or operational capability.
- Full-scale exercise, which is also a hands-on test, but involves a test of the overall emergency management system. A full-scale exercise tests most or all of the emergency response functions outlined in an emergency plan. These exercises involve either simulation of events that might occur at a fixed facility or as a result of a transportation incident.
- May 21, 2016: Full-scale exercise at Tri-C East in Highland Hills. Click here to see video from WKYC.
- May 11, 2015: Tabletop exercise at the Lakewood Woman’s Club Pavilion in Lakewood.
- February 24, 2014: Functional exercise at Momentive Performance Material in Strongsville.
- May 22, 2013: Functional exercise at the Gunning Recreational Center and PPG in Cleveland. Click here to read the press release.
- May 12, 2012: Full-scale exercise at Ferro Corporation in Walton Hills. Click here to read the press release.
- May 15, 2011: Functional exercise at Westfield Mall in Strongsville.
- March 18, 2010: Functional exercise in Cleveland.
- May 16, 2009: Full-scale exercise at Transflo in Cleveland. Click here to read the press release.
- May 7, 2008: Tabletop exercise at the Red Cross in Cleveland.
- June 13, 2007: Functional exercise at the Bedford Heights Wastewater Treatment Plant. Click here to read the press release.
- June 14, 2006: Functional exercise at the Crown Water Filtration Plant in Westlake. Click here to read the press release.
- May 24, 2005: Full-scale exercise at GE Advanced Materials in Strongsville. Click here to exercise summary of details.
- May 19, 2004: Tabletop exercise at the Cleveland Fire Academy. Click here to exercise summary of details.
- May 21, 2003: Functional exercise at Saint-Gobain Crystals in Solon. Click here to view the press release describing the exercise and its participants.
- May 21, 2002: Functional exercise at the NASA Glenn Research Centers in Brook Park. Click here to view the press release describing the exercise and its participants.
- May 31, 2001: Full-scale exercise at Praxair Distribution, Inc. in North Royalton. Click here to view the press release describing the exercise and its participants.